- "I'm sorry, seems like I've insulted your boyfriend."
- "(pause) That's not what I'm talking about."
- —Gamo-chan and Nagatoro[src]
Maki Gamou (蒲生 ??, Gamō Maki), better known as "Gamo-chan" (ガモちゃん, Gamo-chan), is a supporting character of the Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro manga series. She is a high school student and Nagatoro's best friend. Gamo-chan is a confident, popular, driven and quite aggressive girl as well as the nominal ringleader of the 'cool kids' clique, which Yoshi, Sakura and Nagatoro herself are part of. She and Nagatoro share a sort of friendly rivalry and, being aware of her friend's feelings for Senpai, she likes teasing him and pull unique pranks in order to help their relationship.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Gamo-chan is an attractive, tall and statuary, high schooler with long, fiery orange hair - which she likely bleaches, since they turn lighter in a gradient towards the tips - usually kept scruffy and a little unkempt. She has porcelain skin, although not delicate, and large, expressive orange eyes that perfectly matches her hair color. She has removable double piercings on her upper left ear, but those are usually covered by her hairs. She is the tallest out of Nagatoro's friends - almost as tall as Senpai - and is also the bustiest, albeit Yoshi reached her cup size after her summer puberty changes. An amazonian beauty, she has a toned, muscular, flexible and extremely athletic physique with well defined abs, a shapely musculature and generous breasts, a feature which is often Nagatoro's envy. Gamo-chan sports almost always a smug sneer and a fascinating eyelid which is higher than the other, also she has a tendency to thin her pupils whenever she grins.
She typically wears her school uniform consisting of a white button up shirt (with sleeves always rolled up and collar never buttoned) and a navy blue skirt completed with a pair of sneakers and dark soccer socks. However, in summer she wears a short-sleeved shirt in her uniform, while in winter she is shown to wear a light brown sweater and occasionally a blue blazer. She is also often seen wearing a circular bracelet on her left wrist.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Gamo-chan appear as an aggressive, harsh, sarcastic, cunning and bossy girl with a sadistic streak just as evident as Nagatoro's. She's the strongest bully out of the girls' clique and in a profile it's stated that she likes to mock people. An utterly outspoken individual, she's not shy in overstepping the boundaries or being rude to Senpai in both manner and words. However this is insinuated to be an act, as doing so she causes Nagatoro to go the extra mile in proving he's a worthy guy and ultimately bringing the pair closer together. Proving this, despite being Senpai's most vicious critic, she only insults Senpai when Nagatoro can hear it, while when they're alone and she can't defend him, she acted almost friendly. As time passes, regardless of her constant jokes questioning his sexual drive and manliness on several occasions, Gamo-chan got significantly kinder toward Senpai, treating him like one of her friends and acting very at ease with him, even to the point to easily admitting she finds him someone who's "pretty funny" to be with.
Despite her general attitude, Gamo-chan is also very calm and level-headed as she never loses her composure and has proven to be quite patient and thoughtful. A "jerk with a heart of gold", though she always keeps a tough facade, Gamo-chan's actually sweeter and more caring toward her friends than she lets on; when she noticed Nagatoro was feeling bad for Senpai not swimming with them while they were to the beach she tried to cheer her up telling her that if he didn't want to they couldn't force him. When Nagatoro sulks at her due to a comment she made on her bust size Gamo-chan felt genuinely bad, explained what she meant by saying that big-breasts were better and pointing out that regardless of that Nagatoro was "cute". She got really upset when Sakura got stalked, acted almost motherly to Yoshi over her fear of crossing the road, is very patient toward her when she tries to accompany her in singing albeit tone-deaf and - as shown in an extra sketch of Volume 4 - took care of her when she gets lost in the crowd.
While progressively taking a liking for Senpai, she also started to shown some of the same level of kindness and caring to him, making a plan to help him defeat the President and keep the art club active, supporting him during the school marathon, preparing him a special dish of her own invention at the sushi, reassuring him about Nagatoro's condition after she got a flu, inviting him to hang out with her clique for Christmas Eve, offering him to train with Nagatoro at her family's gym in order to get ready for the judo tournament and smiling happily in approval whenever Senpai shows a little backbone or Nagatoro does something that brings them a little closer together. As revealed in the Official Fanbook, she is considered a sort of "big-sister figure" among her friends.
She is very good friends with Sakura and Yoshi, who loved to follow her around and repeat what she says and does, while Nagatoro could be considered her best friend, despite their similar and often competitive personalities sometimes put them at odds in a sort of friendly rivalry. Also, Gamo-chan's love for teasing Nagatoro to fuel her feelings for Senpai sometimes push her to cause pranks that led the two to resorted to near-physical violence despite they seemingly always made peace rather quickly every time they fight. Being quite relaxed, Gamo-chan generally backs down in most situations, but it should be noted that she's the only character who's not afraid to fight Nagatoro when they really disagree. Also, judging by their friends' reactions whenever Gamo-chan and Nagatoro butt heads, it's not wise to make them mad, implying that they both has a temper warranting fear.
Although the President and the student council described her and her clique as "a bunch of good-for-nothing" Gamo-chan has actually proved to be an intelligent and scheming young woman, a natural-born leader as well as an amazingly talented organizer and planner; not only the others - Nagatoro included - follow her lead without questions, but she managed to create a YouTube sensation in less than a day in order to gather people at Senpai's art display and win the competition against the President at the same Culture Festival where she was already in charge to preparing an haunted house for her class, coordinated the girls in a matter of seconds to form a sort of human cart and transport Senpai during the school marathon, managing to overcome the Prez and has proven to be very responsible while managing her family business. Moreover, she's a karaoke enthusiast and a talented singer whose passion for rock music is visibly reflected in her casual attire. Also, an hidden depth of hers are her culinary skills which are praised by Senpai and also allowed her to criticize recipes in a quite specific and professional way.
Despite her beauty and apparent sexual confidence - never getting embarrassed from showing-off her body - it's implied that Gamo-chan is actually the less experienced with the other sex out of the girls. Likely due to her blunt and scary attitude, she's not as popular among boys as Sakura, Yoshi and Nagatoro; while the others have been all seen interacting with guys, Gamo-chan has rarely spoke to a boy in the whole series (the only exceptions being Senpai and when asking the games club members to be quieter), in one occasion two boys approached her clique to flirt, yet all of their attentions were for the other three girls, almost completely ignoring her if not to greet. Also, she went at the summer festival with Yoshi, while in Japan is usually attended by couples and, albeit not so uncommon going with a friend, it's mostly done by those who haven't a date. When at the beach, after noticing Senpai's stunned reaction while looking at her body, she seems almost flattered. On Christmas Eve, she got quite upset when her friends dumped her invitation to the karaoke because they had plans with boys, proving to be both sadden and - deep down - a little envious. Despite this, she reacted warm-heartedly at how obvious Nagatoro and Senpai were on wanting to spend time together.
She is also very athletic, loves the beach, and is a fantastic swimmer managing to race Nagatoro in a swimming contest, on the school cross country, while skiing down a pro course and even sharing her same proficiency in the same amount of martial arts styles, despite having a special liking for boxing. Nagatoro herself claims that it's hard to get a clear winner when she's against her in a match.
Gamo-chan usually refer to Senpai calling him "Paisen" (パイセン), a play on the term "senpai" usually used in a cutesy, playful, or casual way.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- Main Article: Gamo-chan/Biography
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Manga[edit | edit source]
Bonus[edit | edit source]
Side Stories[edit | edit source]
Anime[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before her official name was revealed in Chapter 32, the character was referenced to as "Friend A" (友達A, Tomodachi A).
- She was the second supporting character out of Nagatoro's group of friends whose name was revealed to the readers, preceded by Yoshi and followed by Sakura. However she's the first supporting character ever whose name was fully revealed.
- Her surname is confirmed in Chapter 76 to be Gamou (蒲生, Gamō), an uncommon Japanese surname originating from the Ōmi Province, composed by the kanji for "bullrush, flag, cattail" (蒲, gama) and "life, genuine, birth" (生, ou). Its spelling in Japanese script was first shown in Chapter 79.
- Her first name is revealed in a Volume 10 extra to be Maki, a very common feminine Japanese given name. Its spelling in Japanese script has yet to be confirmed, however it may be either 真貴, 真樹, 真紀, 真希, 麻紀 or 麻貴.
- Her pet name, "Gamo-chan" (ガモちゃん, Gamo-chan), is a pun on her surname, with an added suffix used in Japan for close friends, and it literally means "little duck" or "duckling" in a cute way.
- In Chapter 1, despite being recognizable for her trademark smirk and general attire, she was depicted with far less unkempt hair and a knot tie which was never seen again afterwards.
- A knot tie identical to the one she wore in her debut was later used for the President's uniform.
- Since, as shown in Chapter 6 Nagatoro never manifested any kind of interest in boys, it was likely in the first occasion in which she saw her with Senpai that Gamo-chan realized her friend's feelings for him, subsequently beginning to tease her about it.
- Few chapters later, the first time she visited the art club room, she already described it as Nagatoro and Senpai's "love nest".
- In Chapter 28 it's revealed Gamo-chan and Yoshi are both members of the same club, although it's unknown which one.
- However due to Nagatoro seemingly having acquaintances in the handicrafts club, as mentioned in Chapter 8, it could be speculated that's the one.
- This is further implied when in Chapter 36 when Nagatoro shows up in the art club with the costume she asked her acquaintances in the club to made, they were shown to be out of the room peering at the scene.
- Despite this, it's revealed in her character profile in the Official Fanbook that she has since left whatever club she was part of.
- However due to Nagatoro seemingly having acquaintances in the handicrafts club, as mentioned in Chapter 8, it could be speculated that's the one.
- Both Gamo-chan and Nagatoro shares the love for marlowe pudding, and apparently is often the prize for the many bets and competition their friendly rivalry is composed of.
- Gamo-chan likes karaage, which is also one of her favorite dishes at the sushi alongside chips and yaki udon, while her favourite snacks are donuts or Kinoko no yama, and the one she dislikes is Takenoko no sato. Her drink of choice is coffee.
- According to her character profile in the Official Fanbook her top favorite foods are the very spiced ones and she also likes junk food, while the food she hate the most is natto.
- The brand of canned coffee she usually drinks is the same that Nagatoro and Hachioji took at the end of their date in Issue 4 of the Nagatoro-san webcomic.
- Like Nagatoro, she's a huge fan of horror movies.
- Black and white are her favorite color matching.
- Gamo-chan possess some very good culinary skills, having creating some recipes on her own with one of her dish being praised by Senpai himself, a remarkable cook on his own right. That was previously hinted in Chapter 33 when, describing how amazingly good Senpai's bento was, she used quite specific and professional terms, suggesting that she cook as an hobby or is aiming at a future culinary career.
- Despite her "juvenile delinquent" attitude and Senpai's prejudices, it's implied Gamo-chan don't usually drink alcohol and dislike who does.
- Also, she's seemingly more respectful of school rules and uniform than she lets on, as she doesn't wear her ear piercings at school.
- Gamo-chan has an habit to sit in "yanki zuwari" (ヤンキー座り, yankī zuwari).
- Her smartphone has a zebra-themed case.
- It was suggested that Gamo-chan may have bad eyesight, and that's the reason she scowls so much; once, after encountering Senpai outside school, she has to squint to recognize him.
- Despite usually the chapters' titles come from a line said by Nagatoro inside them, Gamo-chan is the only character who has received the same treatment, since Chapter 28, 35, 44, 57 and 76, as well as Bonus 18, got their titles from lines spoken by her.
- Thus making her the only character, outside the protagonist and her sister, to name chapters.
- Gamo-chan bears a striking resemblance to one of the playable characters of "Jas Gear" which, interestingly, is the one Nagatoro always choose to play.
- Gamo-chan's official measurements are: 90-60-87.
- Due to Nagatoro not appearing in Side Story 7, Gamo-chan is the first character to having ever appeared in a chapter of some sort without the protagonist.
- Being born in June 15, Gamo-chan is the oldest among the girls' clique, thus explaining why she's - both physically and mentally - the most mature out of them.
- The color with whom she’s associated in her profile page on the anime official website is yellow.
- She's a fan of Kenshi Yonezu.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|Main||Nagatoro • Senpai|
|Supporting||Gamo-chan • Yoshi • Sakura • President|
|Minor||Ichirō Nagatoro • Nagatoro's sister|
|Background||Guy A and Guy B • Guy C • Mr. Hachioji • Mrs. Hachioji • Hosokawa • Male Friend A • Male Friend B • Nekoba • Orihara • President's grandfather • Rabi-chan • Sakura's father • Sakura's stalker • Public Morals Committee Chief • Yamaguchi|