"Hey~ Hey~ What are you playing? A game? Teach me how to play? XX-kun is so funny~ let's play together sometime~ [...] YY-kun, you're such a great teacher~ I'd love to get a lesson from you~" ― Sakura, sowing seeds of jealousy[source]
Sakura (桜, Sakura) is a supporting character of the Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro manga series. She is a high school student and one of Nagatoro's friends. Sakura is a sweet and kind, albeit quite flirtatious girl, who dresses in a gyaru style of fashion and is part of a 'cool kids' clique, together with Gamo-chan, Yoshi and Nagatoro herself. She often takes part in her friends' mayhem but, regardless of this, is always extremely friendly towards Senpai.
Her surname is currently unknown.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Sakura is a cute, average statured high schooler with medium-length (chest length at the beginning), wavy platinum blonde hair - although it's implied that she dyes them, since sometimes a slightly darker regrowth is visible - and her bangs pinned to both sides of her face with a pair of white hair clips. She has fully tanned skin and large, inquisitive brown eyes, which were at first depicted as droopy and with noticeable eye bags, hinting some kind of sleep disorder that she apparently later overcame, as her eyes were since shown round, bright and without eye bags. Her eyebrows are thicker than any other characters, and dyed blonde as well. At first she was not too much taller than Nagatoro, but later grew as tall as Yoshi; Sakura has a lean, well-proportioned and slender physique with a large bust size, considering her size and built. She seem to be quite fit but not as athletic as her friends even due to her laziness. Sakura often wears a tired or delicate smile which signifies her laid back personality.
A gyaru (or gal), specifically a kogal, she typically wears her school uniform consisting of a white button up shirt (with one flap always out of her skirt and collar never buttoned) and a shortened navy blue skirt completed with a pair of sneakers and loose socks. However, in summer she wears a short-sleeved shirt in her uniform, while in winter she is shown to wear a light brown sweater, loafers and occasionally a well-buttoned blue blazer.
When not at school she usually sports an extremely stylish and elaborate choice of clothing.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Sakura appears as an easy-going, calm, level-headed, laid back, sweet and lovely individual with an innate predisposition to be flirty, to the point to having a reputation of being an accomplished seductress among her clique of friends, and jokingly saying her guardian spirit is an oiran. Compared to the other girls, Sakura is the kindest of them all - even appearing somewhat coy at times - and the only one who can't be described as an outright bully but rather a teaser, whose innuendo toward Senpai appear to be for the most accidental, since she openly sees him as a friend and even goes to him to be comforted when she feels scared or sad. Also, after realizing that Nagatoro has feelings for him and vice versa, Sakura stopped to assertively tease him and started to support their growing relationship much like her friends. However, being a master in girlish flirt poses, she retains her habit of using them on every boy she talks to, Senpai included.
Despite having been described by her character profile as having an "haraguro" personality, meaning a two-faced attitude, usually cute on the outside but cruel on the inside, in the Official Fanbook, it was stated that she simply really loves to "be pampered" and "play around", in fact Sakura has always been shown as nothing else but nice and, even if she does indeed possess a manipulative side and has demonstrated to be perfectly capable of sowing seeds of jealousy among group of boys or use them for her profit, she doesn't appear to do it with a malevolent intention or to cause anyone harm. Proving this, she gets really distressed and breaks into tears whenever serious consequences ensue from her action, being quick to recognize her errors and make amends with the ones she hurt, as she demonstrated by befriending one of the group of boys she tried to break up. She is also very forgiving, having ultimately forgiven her own stalker. Being very curious and inquisitive, Sakura has an innate ability in "reading people" and understanding what they really think, thus knowing what to appeal to is the main reason she can manipulate others so easily.
She is the most popular among boys out of all of her friends and likely the only one who actually has previous relationships or some kind of experience, albeit it's unknown to what extent; she once stated to be single in a way that implied she has at least one ex despite, according to Nagatoro, she "let them pitch but never let them score" implying she's actually quite chaste. However it is also lightly suggested she may have sapphic tendencies, thus being an in the closet lesbian or bisexual, since she twice blushed and had excited reactions while looking at the President's body. Nevertheless, on Christmas Eve, she was actually seen making out with a boy who nervously describe her as "pretty aggressive".
Sakura is very kind and helpful to the people she likes and has demonstrated to be the most emotionally collected girl in her group of friends, having an hippie-alike and pacifist life philosophy according which "mankind are all brothers and sisters" and "should all make up and have fun". She is also strictly against following the "an eye for an eye" belief, as when Gamo-chan suggested Nagatoro to pose in the nude in order to beat the President, she quoted said principe saying that "lewdness for lewdness will only bring sadness"; despite her friends look at her as a "weirdo" for said convictions. Sakura is also a gamer girl and a VR enthusiast as well as a huge yaoi enthusiast. She is widely knowledgeable in myths, rumors, and romance stories, though whether she actually believes in them is debatable. She is also implied to be quite the daddy's girl.
She is very athletic, though not as much as her friends, and seems to be a fan of wrestling, as well as far stronger than she appear, quite good at running and capable to effortlessly ski down a pro course with a snowboard. Despite always looking tired, lazy and procrastinating - even having a bad academic performance -, Sakura is implied to be actually a very hard-working young woman since those are likely consequences of exhaustion due to her part-time job.
Sakura is very polite and courteous, she always refers to everyone using appropriate suffixes - including her closest friends -, so she addresses Senpai adding at his nickname the suffix "-kun" (くん), which in Japan is generally used when referring to men in general, male children/teenagers, or male friends.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- Main Article: Sakura/Biography
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Manga[edit | edit source]
Side Stories[edit | edit source]
Anime[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before her official name was revealed in Chapter 37, the character was referenced to as "Friend C" (友達C, Tomodachi C).
- She was the last supporting character out of Nagatoro's group of friends whose name was revealed to the readers, preceded by Yoshi and Gamo-chan, respectively.
- Despite in Chapter 27 it seemed that she was called Sacchi (サチ, Sachi) as in a pet name, it was actually a mistranslation since the guy who referred to her in that sentence said "if you don't wanna go WITH HIM ALONE, I'll come too." (サシが無理なら俺も行こっか, SASHI ga muri nara ore mo ikokka).
- Her first name, Sakura (桜, Sakura), is one of the most common girl names in Japan and literally means "cherry blossom".
- In her first two appearances Sakura's hair were significantly longer.
- She is the first character to have a spoken line in the series, due to Senpai's opening the first chapter through a stream of consciousness.
- Sakura is the less recurring among Nagatoro's friends, at the story beginning, after having appeared in both Chapter 1 and 2 she is not seen again until after summer break, in Chapter 27.
- This could be explained as in her first appearance, after the girls decided to go at Mister Donuts, Sakura responded that she had to go to her shift, demonstrating she's the only one of the girls to having a part-time job; at least until much later in the story both Nagatoro and Gamo-chan started to work part-time too.
- Instead of calling her Hayacchi (ハヤっち, Hayatchi) like the rest of her friends, Sakura's pet name for the protagonist is Toro-chan (トロちゃん, Toro-chan).
- That was likely due to knowing her less than the others and have less confidence with her, however as time passes they seemingly got closer and she started to call her Hayacchi too.
- At some point between Chapter 32 and 37 she became a member of the games club.
- Sakura's favourite dish at sushi are uni maki and shrimp roll. Her drink of choice is green tea.
- Despite her "juvenile delinquent" attitude and Senpai's prejudices, it's implied Sakura don't usually drink alcohol and dislike who does.
- Sakura seems to love gossips, especially regarding romance.
- Sakura's official measurements are: 83-58-84.
- Being born in September 4, Sakura is the second oldest among the girls' clique after Gamo-chan.
- Her astrological sign is Virgo.
- It is implied by the much warmer clothes she wears in winter that Sakura is more chilly than the other characters and suffers the cold terribly.
- The color with whom she’s associated in her profile page on the anime official website is purple.
- As of Volume 10 Sakura is the only supporting character that was never featured in a Bonus Chapter.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|Main||Nagatoro • Senpai|
|Supporting||Gamo-chan • Yoshi • Sakura • President|
|Minor||Ichirō Nagatoro • Nagatoro's sister|
|Background||Guy A and Guy B • Guy C • Mr. Hachioji • Mrs. Hachioji • Hosokawa • Male Friend A • Male Friend B • Nekoba • Orihara • President's grandfather • Rabi-chan • Sakura's father • Sakura's stalker • Public Morals Committee Chief • Yamaguchi|