- "I... I'm..."
- "Oh, I don't care about your name, Senpai; Senpai is just fine as just Senpai."
- —Senpai and Nagatoro[src]
Naoto Hachioji (八王子 直人, Hachiōji Naoto) is one of the two main characters of the Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro manga series. He is a high school student who constantly gets teased by Nagatoro, the other main character, whom always refers to him only as "Senpai" (センパイ). He is an introvert, twitchy, loner, nerdy and shy aspiring artist, who tries to avoid social interaction with other people and doesn't seem to have any friends although, as the story progresses, he bonds with Gamo-chan, Yoshi, Sakura and Nagatoro herself, for whom he also harbors strong feelings. Senpai is the only remaining member of the art club beside the semi-retired President.
In the manga Senpai is mostly unnamed, however, in addition to the pet name used by Nagatoro, all the other characters call him with a different nickname: to Gamo-chan he is "Paisen" (パイセン), to Yoshi he's "Sense" (センセ), Sakura adds the suffix "-kun" (くん) and his classmates calls him "Nao-kun" (直くん).
Senpai is a very tall, gangling and angular build high schooler with a well-defined chin and curly, "fluff like" brown hair, often compared to a sheep's fleece. He has an extremely pale and delicate complexion - so much that he gets sunburnt easily - and sharp, twitching-prone brown eyes. He is short-sighted and always wears a pair of horn-rimmed glasses, although he can see somewhat decently even without them and later start to wear lenses. Often described as a "bean sprout", Senpai is slender, incredibly weak and has a bony, dry, skinny, and very inflexible physique with his arms being so thin that could be contained in a girl's grip, but relatively defined pecs. Nagatoro frequently call him "gross", yet he is actually decently handsome and both the girl and her friends have shown to find him quite attractive.
He typically wears his school uniform consisting of a white button up shirt (whose sleeves and collar he always keeps tightly buttoned) and black trousers completed with a pair of sneakers. However, in summer he wears a short-sleeved shirt in his uniform, while in winter he is shown to wear a cardigan and occasionally a blue blazer.
Senpai was - at the beginning of the manga - an extremely frail, weak, introverted, shy and somewhat doormat individual with a bit of masochistic tendencies. Despite being pestered and bullied on a daily basis by Nagatoro, he never fought off any of her antics and put up with it, even after being put through a wide range of embarrassing situations. Having been bullied most of his life by lots of people, he adopted the philosophy that indifference is safety, thus he usually responds at bullying by trying to stay calm, avoiding his tormentors gaze, closing his heart, and letting it pass; doing so he developed a defense mechanism that made him unable to even remember the faces of the people who bullied him.
Despite his emotional frailty, he apparently never cried before meeting Nagatoro, who succeeded in this twice. At first he took Nagatoro's bullying at face value, usually remaining deeply affected by her words and attempting to look away but, as the story progressed, her teasing mellowed out, and their relationship became outwardly friendly, despite the fact that she keeps calling him "gross". As time passes, he has become able to talk more naturally to her and in some occasions he has rebuked her and even teased her back.
Senpai tends to blush quite easily, and usually gets as red as a cherry in a significant part of his interactions with Nagatoro, as he is somewhat shy when it comes to girls. Fundamentally he is a sweet and kind young man in spite of his antisociality and, deep inside, he is more than aware of the fact that Nagatoro is so insistent in keeping him company, proving to be more than willing to dispense kindness towards Nagatoro regardless of how she treats him as well as becoming very determined and assertive when protecting her; an example of this is when he gets behind her in order to cover her back, as some guys were trying to ogle at her while in line due to her sweat having made her shirt transparent. Some other examples of this is when he intentionally grabbed her wrist, dragging her out of the line to a vending machine to save her from an heatstroke, or when dragging her out of a moving crowd when she risked being overwhelmed due to her short stature, and standing up for her when a couple of classmates criticized her drawings. Moreover, he is a real gentleman and, despite his not-so-well-hidden love for fanservice-heavy media, Senpai never attempts to do anything remotely lewd or rude towards either Nagatoro or her friends, not even once. This happens to be one of the reasons they enjoy his presence and feel comfortable around him, along with the perception that, unlike most of the boys that approach them, he is unpretentious and intellectual, if markedly wimpy and twitchy. They take a liking to him because, among other things, he's not a superfluous person like most of their boy classmates, and doesn't have the heart to be duplicitous, thus making him a better person than he thinks he is.
As the manga goes on, Senpai gradually establishes a good relationship with Nagatoro's clique of friends: Sakura is always very kind and respectful toward him, Yoshi found him quite amusing and has a fond for the fluffiness of his hair while Gamo-chan, despite often being rude to him, has actually shown to consider him a friend and that her taunts directed at him are meant to rouse Nagatoro as she's the couple's first supporter.
He is, overall, a very skilled artist, especially at drawing manga and runs his own fantasy manga series, where the main character is Siegfried, a skilled swordsman who's bad at getting on in the world that is actually a handsome-er and more manly self-insert of him, while the female lead is a beautiful knight named Elizabeth bears a striking resemblance to the President, even the events depicted in the story are mirroring his life as evidenced by the fact that at some point the two main characters have to part way as happened when she was forced to leave the club activities to go to cram school. Later, Senpai began to insert new characters like Nekotoro, a cat version of Nagatoro, a whip-holding bandit with the likeness of Gamo-chan and a furry-like bunny girl inspired to Yoshi.
Despite this, his self-esteem seems to be low as a consequence for suffering constant bullying throughout his whole life. He frequently said that "all he can do is draw", and even then he frequently stated he had trouble getting inspiration to draw, and thus ended up beating himself up inside about it, although he admits that he would like to be praised, but at the same time says that he could never get complimented by anyone because he has no talents. He began in the series unable to draw any female form at all due to nervousness, however, he eventually overcame such problem. One of the things Nagatoro prods him about the most is the fact that he tends to give up on things before even trying despite of the fact that the girl has displayed actual faith in him.
Senpai seems to enjoy shonen manga, typically those with large amounts of fan service, though he is very defensive about it when called out by Nagatoro, saying he only likes it for either the comedy, the action, or the art. Nagatoro describes him as a "quiet pervert" and, despite he often denies it, he has often shown to have frequent "lewd" thoughts, even to the point of imagining the President stark naked while she was talking to him about the nature, also he can't help admiring Nagatoro's occasional fanservice or that of her equally attractive friends.
Apparently, Senpai has some sort of social anxiety disorder, stating to not like crowded places due to the "normie aura" they had. In the beginning, he seemingly had no friends other than Nagatoro's clique, as shown by the fact that he never interacted with anyone else and has been shown to not having any other numbers in his phone other than Nagatoro's, but later on he's shown to be relatively close to a few classmates, and his kouhai-senpai relationship with the President is revealed.
He doesn't enjoy many things in his life beside of playing video games, drawing, and spending time with Nagatoro and her friends. He doesn't like to go outside, or athletics or engaging in any form of physical activities, although he later starts to feel some joy in these activities due to his interactions with his kouhai, even admitting that "it's okay every once in a while".
He has the habit to adjusts his glasses by the bridge in embarrassment, and humorously retain it even after switching to lenses.
- Main Article: Senpai/Biography
- Side Story 1
- Side Story 2
- Side Story 3
- Side Story 4
- Side Story 5
- Side Story 6
- Side Story 7
- Side Story 8
- Side Story 9
- Despite Senpai's name has yet to be said by any character in the manga as of Volume 10, in the original webcomic his surname was given as "Hachioji" while his full name could be read in the credits of the official game Escape from the Room with my Kōhai as "Naoto Hachioji" which also appears on the paper of his midterm test in Side Story 5 (chronologically placed before Chapter 35).
- Due to having read said papers, it could be assumed Nagatoro know Senpai's real name as of that moment or maybe even prior to it.
- In Chapter 3, Nagatoro formally introduced to Senpai telling him her surname and saying she doesn't care about knowing his real name, as she was fine with calling him just "senpai", thus they began to refer to one another as "Nagatoro" and "Senpai" respectively.
- Eventually, Senpai found out the girl's first name in Chapter 62.
- His surname could literally be translated as "eight princes" (referring to the eight sons of the deity Gozu Tennou) since it's formed by the kanjis "eight" (八, hachi) and "prince" (王子, ōji), while Naoto (直人, Naoto) literally means "straight person".
- Nagatoro's favorite feature about Senpai seems to be his hair, which she is very protective of and only allow herself to touch.
- Among Senpai's favorite manga are the fictional "School Rumble Shining", "Lustful Quest", Yagamirin Tarou's "Paradise Harem" and "Love's Slave" as well as the actually existing George Morikawa's Hajime no Ippo.
- Senpai plays video games very often and is quite good at them. His favorite being "Last Quest" (a reference at both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) and "Burakue" (a parody of Dragon Quest that in Japan is often called "Dorakue" for short).
- He is quite chicken-hearted and doesn't particularly like horror movies.
- After having dreamed of her in a cat-like form in Chapter 9, Senpai start to associate Nagatoro to a cat in his subconscious, even going so far as to assume out of nowhere that she actually has a pet cat, which in Chapter 18 is revealed not to be the case.
- He is often associated to a sheep, due to his twitchiness and fluffy hair. Yoshi being the character who call him "sheep" the most.
- His smartphone has a plain white case.
- Senpai's mail contact is "kjnokotakenoko", referencing both Kinoko no yama and Takenoko no sato, two kind of snacks that in Japan originate a fervent argument regarding which is the better one.
- Senpai likes yakisoba and tamagoyaki. Also, his favorite dish at the sushi is hamachi nigiri. His drink of choice is orange juice.
- He has excellent cooking skills, with Nagatoro, Yoshi and Gamo-chan all having Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma-like "foodgasms" after eating his bento, and the latter also stated that he could even possibly be a better cook than he is as a painter.
- Being born in May 10, Senpai is actually almost two years older than Nagatoro rather than one.
- His astrological sign is Taurus.
- The color with whom he’s associated in his profile page on the anime official website is green.
|Main||Nagatoro • Senpai|
|Supporting||Gamo-chan • Yoshi • Sakura • President|
|Minor||Ichirō Nagatoro • Nagatoro's sister|
|Background||Guy A and Guy B • Guy C • Mr. Hachioji • Mrs. Hachioji • Hosokawa • Male Friend A • Male Friend B • Nekoba • Orihara • President's grandfather • Rabi-chan • Sakura's father • Sakura's stalker • Public Morals Committee Chief • Yamaguchi|